Saturday, November 22, 2008

MOUS Certification

If you're studying for your MOUS certification, either completely or just individual components, then hopefully my collection of free MOUS resources, MOUS study guides, and practice exams will be of use to you. I'll be adding to the list as I come across any further good MOUS resources, so keep checking back from time to time.

I've also put up a studying tips section, with links and articles to getting the most from your studying time, and offering techniques to improving your studying habits.

I was asked to complete the MOUS certification by my employer at the time (for what reason I don't know but it's a handy certification to have nonetheless). Due to work commitments I took one exam every two weeks, so it took me about 10 weeks to finish the Master MOUS certification. Many people I spoke to at the exam centre were doing it in one go, so it's certainly not impossible to do it that way either.

I used mostly CBT's (Computer Based Training) for these exams (which were provided for me through the company I worked for, but there are many others out there on the market if you need to go down the same route).

I found it was a good idea to print off the list of MOUS objectives for each exam from the Microsoft site, and then cross off each subject as you master it. Try to do as many practice questions as you can, and any areas that you feel you're not getting the answers right make sure you keep studying until you do get them right. If you can safely tick off the list of objectives as outlined on Microsoft's MOUS site, then you'll be ok for the exams.

If you're intending to purchase a MOUS book to help you with your studying, then my advice to you is to print off the objectives for the exam and compare those objectives to the chapters in the book you're intending to purchase. Make sure the book covers everything that is on the MOUS exam.

One other thing I suggest you try to remember for the exam (and this really helped me to improve on my scores as I took each subsequent exam) - on each question there is a button to restart that particular question.

Use it!. If, for example, you get a question with multiple objectives, you will probably spend some time clicking on various menu's to find the options and tools that you need to complete the question. Well, after you've done the question, restart it and do it again.

You'll do it the second time in a fraction of the time it took the first time, and you'll click all the right options first time. Your score will be much higher. And if you know your stuff, you'll have plenty of time to do each question twice.

So don't get worried at the time ticking away, and make sure to use the 'repeat the question' option.

No comments: